Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A Heart for a Mission

           
              I and my two other brothers had always wanted to be a part of a mission. But when we had the chance we were a bit of hesitant because it was costly, we have to provide for our airfare, our food and other expenses. But we realized that if we are truly into mission, we have to be willing to sacrifice even our own resources, so we decided to join.
              I always thought that mission were just about sharing the love of God, sharing your blessings and all that sort of things. But when we were already in Davao and I learned that we had no hotel accommodation or any decent place to stay on. I really wanted to back out, but I remembered that we were there for a mission not for vacation. And as we walked towards the mountain and after an endless walk we finally reached the tribal community. And as I'ved looked upon the place and the people my heart went out to them and  I wondered on how they survived in such place, no electricity, no any means of transportation except by walked , a malaria prone area and really it was located in the middle of nowhere in the mountains of Davao, but thanked God they had at least a good water system courtesy of some foreign mission team. The tribe was forgotten by our government as if they were not existing. Most of them were not educated, some of them were still living like a nomads. But despite of their indigent life, they're such a good people. They welcomed us with such warmth and they even prepared some food for us, though very simple still we found it special, arrozcaldo or rice porridge, corned beef and instant noodles. And when we learned the story behind it really made me cry. They only cooked rice for special occasion coz they cannot afford to buy rice but still they cooked it for us, They just have mais, camote, or saging for their everyday meal. And about the corned beef and the instant pancit canton we found out that it came from another mission and they just kept it, so they can served a special meal for visitors. They have nothing to give yet they are still giving. The tribe were blessed with a vast land and yet they are poor. Their situation were really heartbreaking, so for even a short time we made them happy. We gave them some activities that they  really enjoyed, taught them the alphabets and numbers, and most of all we taught them that God loves them and He bestowed them an abundant blessings, we even bathed them and after they took a bath they still wore their dirty clothes because they only had few. And when we took some pictures of them the smiles in their faces gave us a real joy. And as we bid our goodbyes to them and as we started to walk they turned their backs coz they don't want to see us leaving their place. Even for a short time we learned to love those people.
               My brother told me that the main goal of our mission were to blessed those people in our own little way, and for us to remain humble and compassionate. We're planning to go back their in November for a medical mission and will be headed by our very own beautiful doctor and with some of her friends who were also a doctors by proffession.

9 comments:

  1. you said at one point of your blog that these people's situation was heartbreaking...it may be somewhat true but you know what...what you did and what they did and endured...its actually heartwarming...

    they showcase a part of life that is simple, inspirational and forgotten sometimes and memorable when thought of...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to add, one thing I've learned about them that made me cry.. ibinebenta nila yung land nila just for a can of sardines, my goodness! tayo dito dinededma lang natin yun and ayaw pa natin kainin yun
      For them it was already a feast kapag may ganon sa hapag nila..
      They are such an inspiration..

      Delete
  2. I am also happy that you and your brothers went with it...that is so freaking cool...I also would like to that...immersion in such communities really enlightens the soul so I am really happy for you guys and them as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah well thank you sir..it's high time to be a partaker for a mission, to help even in a little way those underprivileged and marginalized people.. I hope that our government will do something regarding the indigenous people, I love those people.. It was such a great experience.. Sobrang nakaka-enlighten ng soul.. Yeah sir try it.. Be part of it..

      Delete
  3. And lastly, one of the things that really stuck was me is this "They have nothing to give yet they are still giving"...truly magical...magnificent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope lahat ng tao may ganyang attitude of giving.. They think less for themselves but they think more for the others.. I love them even more.. Kung mayaman lang ako I will really help those people..
    Be a channel of blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I grow up, I easily get emotional, because I started to realize the depth and meaning behind everything. And surprisingly, while beginning to read this, the next music on my phone was a freaking touching instrumental from a movie I watched a long time ago! (And still kept on watching)

    Anyway, I'm not really good at expessimg what I exactly feel but i'll try my best. I'm a bit envious, I wanted to do such missions like that as well, it's really nice to do such things and I admire you forbeing one of those people :) If I was there I would've been smiling and crying all the time while being with them srsly. They have such the kindest hearts, being generous and hospitable totheir visitors. I think this is a good mission for us to always remember to share and be contented with what we have, and be reminded that we could survive no matter what because they can. I am sick, lying in bed with my eyes puffy, but when I read this, my condition is nothimg compared to them. So I stopped being a crybaby and tried to endure the pain...this will pass, anyway.

    The part when they turned on their backs when you guys started to leave, I lost it. I know that you are willing to give them the best of your help. I am praying for them.

    Aaaaand, you will return?! Now that's really cool! And nice! And cool! For me, what you all did was cooler anything else, and definitely cooler than the medicines that used to take my pain away temporarily hahaha. Nice post!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha na-delete ko yung comment ko umatake na naman.. going back sa comment ko..

    That mission made me realized a lot of things.. When I saw their situation I thanked God for all the blessings na meron ako and for having the the chance to enjoy life as much as I want..
    I admire those people coz despite of their situation they still appreciate life and how good the Lord is.. It was also good na maexpose din tayo on situation like that para Hindi mawala yung compassion natin towards them..
    Yeah thanks for praying for those people..

    ReplyDelete